Injury in New York
Types of benefits for injuries
In cases of serious injury in New York, an injury lawsuit is often needed to pursue the fullest possible compensation for the following:
- Past, current, and potential future medical benefits
- Lost wages from work as a result of injuries or medical and therapy visits
- Damaged property
- Household assistance when you were unable to meet normal responsibilities
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Resulting psychological distress or emotional anxiety, such as depression or post traumatic stress disorder
- Interference with family relationships
In fact, a personal injury lawsuit can pursue compensation for virtually any other costs that are directly related to injuries resulting from an accident caused by the negligence of one or more other parties.
New York injury settlement
When injuries are less severe, many benefits can be obtained through insurance claims or by negotiating an out-of-court settlement with the opposing attorneys. In New York, injury settlement can differ greatly between these two options:
- Insurance claims: Insurance claims are generally most appropriate when injuries are relatively minor, and the expenses can be accurately assessed. In many cases, this is the quickest method for receiving benefits. But, it is important to retain an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure you collect full compensation—and to tell you when an insurance claim is not appropriate for your situation.
- Out-of-court settlements: The type and amount of compensation you receive through this type of injury settlement is based solely on the results of negotiations between your attorney and the attorneys representing the parties who caused the accident. Negotiations can occur prior to filing a lawsuit, or they can even occur at any point during a trial. While compensation can be received more quickly, very serious injuries and resulting disability often require a jury trial to obtain the fullest possible compensation.
Make sure you get the benefits you deserve for your injury
Stephen R. Foley, personal injury lawyer in New York, welcomes you with a free in-person initial consultation to begin the legal aspects of your recovery from personal injuries. From slips and falls to collisions with snowmobiles, Steve and his colleagues give you comprehensive legal help to restore your financial health. His downtown Buffalo office looks forward to your call at 716-200-1487, or toll-free at 866-675-1062. You can also inquire through the online form on his contact page. Let him hear from you today.